Friday, May 1, 2009

My First Book Review: Grimspace by Ann Aguirre


Book Review: Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Grade: A

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago...

As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace- a talent that into her life expectancy but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she's navigating crash-lands, and she's accused of killiing everyone on board. It's hard for Jax to defend herself: She has no memory of the crash.

Imprisoned and subjected to a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks her into her cell, offering her freedom- for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on the interstellar travel- and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing- grimspace- and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime...



This is the first book I've read by this author and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. I did have to search my library for it because it was hidden away in a little corner with a bunch of other paperbacks, which was a shame. At least they had it in!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole space thing, but I became interested after playing the video game Mass Effect (yes, that would be thanks to my hubby). When I saw a tweet about a new book by this author it peeked my interest and I decided to look her up. I found Grimspace and decided to give it a try even if it wasn't my typical type of book to read.

At first, I was put-off by the first person point of view. I'm not a fan of that writing style because, if not written correctly, it can be very limiting and can stall out a plot. I must say though that this was written very well and it worked. I felt like I was Jax and that's why this point of view worked so well in this book.

A great thing about this book is that it moves quickly and the plot is really interesting. Jax is trying to figure out why the ship she was steering through grimspace crashed, killing everyone on board but her. March rescues her from the facility that the Corp has her locked up in and she finds out that her rescue comes with a condition, which is helping to build a better jumper and release the hold the Corp has on the market.

March and Jax do have plenty of tension between them and it makes things interesting due to Jax having lost her lover in the crash. You see Jax wrestle with the idea of whether she should just go for it or if she needs more time to grieve. March has his own past he has to deal with too.

The action is fast moving and you feel like you're in the middle of it. The scenes were very well written. It was almost like watching a movie. That made the book very hard to put down.

Since I read this book, I plan on reading more by Ann Aguirre. I have Blue Diablo in my TBR pile. Once I get through all my library reads, I will be reaching for Blue D first.

1 comment:

  1. Liked your review.
    I may put this book onto my TBR list.

    Kudos to you if you managed to read through your library reads before picking up Blue Diablo. A lot of the time, when there is another book I want to read that is not in my library pile and I have it in my house...I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete